Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all we ask or imagine, to HIM be the glory!"

Sunday, April 29, 2012

"The World" Defined...

We are studying the book of James in Sunday School and the topic of discussion this morning was "Friends of the World vs. Friends of God." In our class, we try to dig deep and discuss the issues of the heart and today was no different. In pondering about the world vs. God subject, I asked the question, "What is the world?" It seems like an easy question to answer, even for me because we always say things like, "anything that is not of God" or "secular things that are not spiritual or Christian." But, a more important question I tried to answer for myself was, "What does the world look like in my life?" Do I look like the world? Tough stuff to answer if you are truly seeking to know who your true self in Christ is.
We often look at our lives and proclaim that we don't drink, do drugs, or gamble our money away but I know I often fail to look at my own life through the "what do I DO" lens rather than the "what I DON'T do" lens. For instance, in pondering these things, God immediately brought to my mind materialism, pride, and being judgmental. For the most part, these are things I wouldn't recognize in myself unless God brings them to my attention. Sometimes I think we focus so much on the outer things instead of focusing on our own hearts.

So, my epiphany this morning was to answer the question, "Do I look like the world?" It's one thing to say your aren't like the world but a completely other to be like it and NOT know it.  

God, You are Awesome, Mighty God and I do not deserve to breathe the breath to speak Your name. Thank you for the wisdom you give me and for growing me daily in my walk with You. There is nothing more precious. My prayer is that I am found faithful...that You give me the foresight to recognize "the world" in my life, confess it, and remove it forever. I want to glorify You!

No comments:

Post a Comment