Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all we ask or imagine, to HIM be the glory!"

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Just when I thought...

...all was right with the world, BOOM something happens.

As I sat in my women's discipleship group last night, I pondered the problems of the world and discussed with my accountability partner the sin in our lives that keeps us from really knowing God and glorifying Him. We talked on and on yet our conversation always came back to the one thing: Our purpose in living is to glorify God. When I left her, I felt a sense of accomplishment and growth however in the big scheme of things was I really DIGGING as deeply as I could have been? That question hit me square in the face this morning.

I awoke this morning to tragic news and in trying to process it all I did not ask God "Why?" or try to reason the purpose behind such a loss. My reaction was, "Okay God, I hear you!" I fully believe that God speaks through every situation and in the end, everything that happens is to give Him glory. But as I sat there this morning pondering the meaning of it all, I thought, "What if that had been me?" I truly believe God gives us divine perspective to be able to analyze situations and allows them so that we change something about ourselves to reflect Him more.

The past two years of my life have been growing years (spiritually...not that it is separate at all). They have been glorious years of intentionally seeking God's face and what He wants for my life. In that seeking, I have learned that nothing I do should be about me and that in knowing that, my life should reflect it. I should not be stuck on those two years of seeking and then stop. I should move forward and continue after Him.

We walk out the door each day feeling assured that all is right with the world and we continue on this comfortable track of selfishness. In reality, we have no control over any of it. God controls it all and it can be taken away in an instant.

I questioned myself this morning. It is the same question that Francis Chan posed to our Sunday School class this past week. "What difference does your presence make?" Just as important, what difference would your absence make? I pondered those questions this morning as I learned of the loss of someone precious. Through my tears, I cry out to God asking for comfort for family and friends but also pleading for Him to give me wisdom and an intense, continuous longing for Him. My salvation should not be the end of my relationship with God...it is the beginning. We certainly should not strive for just "good enough" or just to check a box and say "Salvation, check. I've got that done now I have insurance." Being a Christian is a LIFE not a compartment of your life. God should bleed over into everything that is about you and me and there should be no question of who we belong to.

My challenge to you today and to do a gut check. If something were to happen to you today, would the pearly gates open wide and you do cartwheels on the way in because you have lived a life pleasing to God and not pleasing to self or would He stand at the gate and say, "I knew you not" because you have no relationship with Him and are ashamed to even speak about Him in certain circles? There is nothing more important than seeking Him and spending precious time reflecting Him than seeking anything else. What would your life look like if you sought after Him as much or more than you seek after worldly things? Are you ready? Would there be a huge hole in people's lives if something happened to you because you live a life full and only for Him?

If you claim to be saved and to know God, the question to ask is: Does He know you? Is He what you worship most?
Matthew 7:21-27
Matthew 3:7-10

No comments:

Post a Comment