Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all we ask or imagine, to HIM be the glory!"

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Acknowledge HIS Name

"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." Psalm 91:14


Acknowledging His name is all it takes to be rescued from the fire pit, right?



Last night, Jason and I conversed about what it means to be saved and have salvation. Much of this conversation stemmed from a sermon previously taught by a close friend of ours, Jonathan Haefs (http://vimeo.com/26059560). The topic of interest was also ventured to because of a recent encounter in Jason's daytime activities. This turned our thoughts to what salvation looks like in someone. This began us thinking about our own lives and our witness to others, as well as an examination of our family and their relationship with our Lord; people in our family who are clearly lost. 


The question that surfaced was "Where's your fruit?" We took a long hard look at our own lives to see if we were a daily example of Galatians 5:22 (But the fruit of the spirit is: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control). It is a very humbling experience to examine yourself against the scripture to see if you measure up. That is something we should do daily and not just to be able to say, "well I've got this fruit or that fruit" but in reality to be able to gut-check ourselves and see the fruit that we DON'T exhibit. 

People mistakenly believe that if they walked the aisle and filled out a card when they were young, that they are saved and will go to Heaven. It is awesome if you accept Christ but what do you do with Him once He is living in you? It doesn't just stop at the altar and the baptismal pool. It is a LIFELONG journey where you constantly must examine yourself against the ultimate standard: Jesus Christ. You, of course, will never measure up to Jesus but He is the standard to follow and strive toward.

Have you ever sat and thought about why you are here or the purpose of living? Maybe it is to go to school, get a good job, have a family, have a good life, and then die. Or maybe it is like many of the men of Genesis 5 where they lived, had children, and died. Sounds like a drag to me. Surely there is an ultimate purpose. Certainly there is more to life than just living and dying. "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble" 1 Corinthians 10:31  The reason we breathe, move, and live is to bring glory to God Almighty! So, as Christians our daily goal should be to glorify God in everything that we do. 

As believers we should not cause others to stumble either. That really hit home with me. You want to know if you are saved...examine your fruit and see if your actions could cause someone else to fall into sin. Can you cause someone to not yearn for God because they see you drinking an alcoholic beverage?  Can your foul language cause someone else to begin to speak filthy or will your temper cause a negative attitude in others?  Can your lack of attendance at church make someone else believe that they don't need God at all? Could your gossip bring shame to your God?
A friend recently said, "If my life is not useful or brings shame to God, I pray that He just go ahead and take me home." What a prayer! I asked myself if I have enough gumption to say that. I hope that my life is a reflection of the lyrics of Lifesong by Casting Crowns. "May the words I say and the things I do; Make my lifesong sing; Bring a smile to you." I pray that I am able to lose myself in bringing Him praise. To be consumed and reflect the image of Christ not only on the inside but in everything I do and say. To project His glory and His majesty should be our life goal!
So, want to know if you are saved? HOW'S YOUR FRUIT? If you really acknowledged His name then your fruit will reflect your salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment